Through the inspiration and efforts of Archbishop Patrick Skinner, the St. Patrick’s Mercy Home, a long-term care facility located in St. John’s, opened in 1958 under the administration of the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy. Located in the east end of St. John’s, it is known for a long history of quality care and compassion.
The nursing home is committed to caring for the whole person, respecting the sacredness of life and the dignity of each individual. Its mission is to provide quality and compassionate care for its residents. Mercy is a way of life at St. Patrick’s Mercy Home, which is intrinsic to our operation and enacted by our Staff and Volunteers.
The original building opened in 1958 with 82 beds. Operation and Ownership of building and land transferred from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s to the Sisters of Mercy in 1958. Extension constructed and opened in 1985 with an additional 132 beds to a total now of 214 beds.
St. Patrick’s offers its residents a homelike décor, large rooms that are available to residents and family members for special gatherings; a patio garden is easily accessed while the auditorium provides space for concerts, parties and special large group gatherings. Many of the activities of the Home are supported by St. Patrick’s Mercy Home Auxiliary. The pastoral care department is welcoming to people of all faiths with many religious services being held in the large chapel. Medical, nursing, palliative, and respite care is available through its physician and nursing staff while social workers, physiotherapists, recreation and music therapists provide services that enhance the life of each resident in a particular way.
In January 1986, another renovation and extension project for the Home was completed so that it could continue to provide a safe, comfortable and attractive atmosphere that speaks of its focus on residents.
The year 2008 marked the 50th anniversary year of St. Patrick’s. Many and varied activities and celebrations involving staff, residents, church and government officials and the general public took place throughout the year. The chapel was rededicated to Archbishop P. J. Skinner in recognition of his untiring efforts toward the opening of a home for the aged and infirm; St. Patrick’s Mercy Home Foundation displayed a beautiful Donor Appreciation Window, acknowledging all who contribute to the care and well-being of the residents in any way.
To be admitted, an assessor from Health and Community Services will visit the person requesting admission and complete an assessment for placement.
Through your support via the Foundation, St. Patrick’s Mercy Home continues to provide a safe and comfortable home for its residents today and for many years to come.